Monday, January 14, 2008

What Book Are You Reading?

I thought a Blog would be a great way to generate conversations and recommendations between us about some of the good books you or your kids have been reading. This can fill in the time until we can get together again.

8 comments:

Julie Leach said...

I am currently reading The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult. It is about a 14 year old girl whose world turns upside down by a single act of violence. It really is keeping my interest, much like her book, My Sister's Keeper.

Unknown said...

Hi Julie -
What a great idea!

I have been invited to three book clubs this month.
1. School -Administgration "Professional Learning Communities at Work" by Richard Dufour and Robert Eaker.

2. Teachers at school are reading P.S. I Love You by Cecelia Ahearn

3. My neighbors are also going to start a club at the end of the month.

Unknown said...

Has anyone heard of LibraryThing
Catalog your books onlinelibrarything catalogs your books online, easily, quickly and for free.
http://www.librarything.com/

Jenni said...

I'm reading Mayflower by Nathaniel Philbrick. It is an account of the Pilgrims' journey from England to Holland, to the New World, and of the first 45 years or so of the colony, through King Philip's War. It is much more interesting than it sounds!

Donna said...

This is a great idea.

I just finished reading "One Thousand White Women" by Jim Fergus. The basic premise is that an agreement was made between a Native American tribe and the US government, after the Civil War, to trade 1000 white women to the tribe for 1000 horses. The women would marry one of the males in the tribe, thus their children would be part white, and these children would begin the assimilation of this tribe into white culture. I had to keep telling myself this is historical fiction because it seemed to be true.

Julie, I'd be interested in your final assessment of your book, because I like Jodi Picoult, and really enjoyed My Sister's Keeper.

Jenny-I actually have Mayflower-I need some encouragement to begin reading it.

Julie Leach said...

Wow, Jenni and Donna, historical fiction. That is one genre I have trouble delving into. Maybe I will have to try one of these. Donna since you said you have Mayflower and recently finished A Thousand White Women, maybe you could tell me which one you liked best and I could give that one a try.

Unknown said...

I am involved in two book clubs this month.

1. Neighborhood book club selected The Senator's Wife by Sue Miller.

2. School Administration will be starting a book club this month and will be reading
Professional Learning Communities at Work: Best Practices for Enhancing Student Achievement by Richard Dufour (Author), Robert E. Eaker (Author)

Julie Leach said...

Mary,
I really like the idear of having a book club with people in your own professional community. The book that yours is reading sounds really interesting.We do have a collection of books in the teachers' lounge that people leave one, take one, but there are not book discussions. I think a book club like your admin is doing, really forces you to try non-fiction and relates to what you do every day to help or understand students or find best practices. What a great discussion these type of book clubs would promote.